[ga-icann]

Re: [ga-icann] the full text of the proposed IC Charter

At 09:01 22/09/01 -0700, Eric Dierker wrote:
>My comments are based upon the provision for membership set forth below.
>
>Excluding 1 billion Chinese seems very logical.  Excluding about 95% of
>all ccTLD
>domain name holders seems perfectly legitimate.

Huh? This is not intended at all. If you think the text is flawed, please
provide the improved text.
Just do not confuse this DNSO constituency with the original "at large
membership" of ICANN.

>  And now that Versign and
>Register.com are delisting and censoring sites they find offensive
>certainly no .com
>domain name holder can claim exclusive right to exploit the specified
>domain name
>worldwide.  Dang I forgot nobody can because they cannot exploit their
>names in
>places controlled by Iraq or the Taliban.

I am sure the person who provided that clause (Joanna) did not have that
consequence in mind. Again: just provide a better text.

>Even if you use your clause on applicable
>law it falls because of the great conflicts of applicable law.  Versign
>does not like
>how my group is voting and suddenly our sites are offensive they get shut
>down and no
>more right to vote.
>
>There is no point in a group that is exclusive to a given set of political
>criteria
>based upon geographics.  It becomes an "all white club".
>
>By building a group that is categorized by the willingness of the powerful to
>recognize it you are building a puppet club.
>
>Either create a group that is identifiable by inalienable rights, or build
>another
>toady club for ICANN to use to say "see we have bottoms up consensus". But
>don't do
>the later and claim the former.  You cause more harm by being a stooge
>than by being
>nothing.

That is true in general. Please help making it better , rather than
discourage people by applying undeserved labels.

>4.1. IC constituency membership is open to any person who is an individual
> > domain name holder
> > 4.2 An Individual Domain Name Holder is any person who can demonstrate a
> > level of control over a specified domain name that a reasonable person
> > would conclude grants the individual person the exclusive legal right to
> > exploit the specified domain name worldwide subject to applicable laws.

Would you prefer the original more wordy IDNO definition, mostly crafted by
Karl Auerbach?
see www.idno.org/organiz.htm

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-icann@dnso.org list.