[ga-icann]

Re: [ga-icann] .kids domain name

Eric, all assembly members and other interested parties,

Eric Dierker wrote:

>    This restriction regarding approval of new gTLDs could certainly be
>
> construed as including .biz and .info.  As I understand it there is
> one
> remaining approval step before they go completely public, in
> otherwords
> are established.  Note the language says approve the establishment of
> -
> not approve the plan for.  I think it is fairly clear that approvals
> date were for methods and plans but not to actually establish.  That
> would and could not come until the end of the start up period.  Yep
> that
> is real strange wording.  I would say it is intentionally left like
> that
> so as to be used as a stick in case ICANN is not fully cooperative.  I
>
> wonder if the bill requires the GA to provide the proposal since that
> is
> the only way this can be done according to the MOU.
>
> Of course this is all just for discussion.

  Glad you pointed this out.  You may be correct.  Some clarification
from DOC/NTIA I believe is needed here.  Don?  Kathy?

  In any event however it seems obvious to us [INEGRoup] that
such a provisionin this bill H.R. 2417, is a sensable one if the
ICANN BOD continues to be unrepresentative of the stakeholders
(No At-Large members for determining such decisions) and that
DOC/NTIA should take this bill as a sort of wake up call, even
if not passed...

> Sincerely,
> Eric
>
> NameCritic wrote:
>
> > Int the bill for the new .kids TLD this is what the Congress thinks
> of
> > ICANN's fees
> >

> > (3) involve a fee for filing an application that does not exceed the
>
> > minimum amount reasonably estimated as necessary to recover any
> > expenses of ICANN relating to the process for establishing the new
> > domain; and provide for reimbursement to applicants of any amounts
> > collected in filing fees that exceed the actual amount of expenses
> of
> > ICANN relating to the process for establishing the new domain.
> >

> > And this is how serious they are. They are not just saying approve a
>
> > .kids TLD, they are saying it must be done before any other new TLDs
>
> > can be approved.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827

This message was passed to you via the ga-icann@dnso.org list.