[ga-icann]

Re: [ga-icann] .kids domain name

This restriction regarding approval of new gTLDs could certainly be construed as including .biz and .info.  As I understand it there is one remaining approval step before they go completely public, in otherwords are established.  Note the language says approve the establishment of - not approve the plan for.  I think it is fairly clear that approvals to date were for methods and plans but not to actually establish.  That would and could not come until the end of the start up period.  Yep that is real strange wording.  I would say it is intentionally left like that so as to be used as a stick in case ICANN is not fully cooperative.  I wonder if the bill requires the GA to provide the proposal since that is the only way this can be done according to the MOU.

Of course this is all just for discussion.

Sincerely,
Eric

NameCritic wrote:

Int the bill for the new .kids TLD this is what the Congress thinks of ICANN's fees

(3) involve a fee for filing an application that does not exceed the minimum amount reasonably estimated as necessary to recover any expenses of ICANN relating to the process for establishing the new domain; and provide for reimbursement to applicants of any amounts collected in filing fees that exceed the actual amount of expenses of ICANN relating to the process for establishing the new domain.

And this is how serious they are. They are not just saying approve a .kids TLD, they are saying it must be done before any other new TLDs can be approved.

A plan in accordance with this section shall provide that ICANN may not establish any top-level generic or country code Internet domain that has not already been approved by ICANN on or before the date of the enactment of this Act until after the new domain provided for under such plan has been established.   Chris McElroy aka NameCritic