Re: [ga] What deal was made? - VeriSign Response

Bruce and all assembly members,

  To make a long story short here Bruce, it seems that your own quote
from below and your own statement don't jive very well.  This makes
Danny's contention in this particular instance seem much more
accurate.  If I were you I would clean that up to at least
look a little more creditable.

  Mind you, I personally and not against "Deal Making"
as that is a part of doing business.  What is lacking
is an justification for Versign able to make "Deals"
and other registrars seemingly not able to have the
same or equal access in order for them to do the same,
AND the fact that the ICANN BoD and staff rubber
stamping the Budget proposal cost increases without
viable justification.  I would therefore suggest that
in such instances, that a independant auditor review
such budget proposals and make them publically
avaliable for comment, question, and potential
revision...

  However I will again add, that there doesn't seem to be any
justification for the ICANN budget committee to increase
the Registrar fee by a whopping 25% either.  ICANN would
be wise to get it's costs amongst a host of other things
in some reasonable order and soon.  Sept is just around the
corner....

Beckwith, Bruce wrote:

> Danny,
>
> There was no "deal made" with ICANN regarding the ICANN budget for this new
> fiscal year.
>
> As noted in my email to the Registrar Constituency list of June 24, "We
> [VeriSign] are not rejecting the current budget proposal outright, we are
> simply stating that at this point in time, given the major review that is
> underway, it is not fiscally prudent for a budget to enter into significant
> new, long term, financial commitments that will increase the current budget
> by 25% or more..."
>
> Following is the text of the letter (sent via fax and mail) that was sent to
> ICANN, whereby VeriSign approves our portion of the variable accreditation
> fees.
>
> ICANN
> Registrar Accreditation Dept.
> 4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
> Marina del Rey, CA  90292  USA
> Fax: 1/310-823-8649 (Hard Copy by Mail)
>
> Re: Variable Accreditation Fee for 2002-2003
>
> To ICANN:
>
> Notwithstanding our concern with the overall budget approved by ICANN or the
> fact that our interpretation of the interplay between Subsection 3.9.2 of
> the Registrar Accreditation Agreement and Article I of the Concurrent
> Agreement between ICANN and Network Solutions, Inc. differs from the
> interpretation expressed by ICANN's counsel, I, on behalf of Network
> Solutions, Inc., expressly approve, for the ICANN fiscal year beginning on 1
> July 2002 and ending on 30 June 2003, the variable registrar accreditation
> fee, so long as such fee does not exceed $2,000,000.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> W. G. Champion Mitchell
> July 22, 2002
>
> Please let me know if you have further questions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bruce

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827