Re: [ga] new elections for icannatlarge.com approaching

At 06:44 7/07/02, Karl Auerbach wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>
> > ....However, if you are interested in participating to
> > icannatlarge.com or, more generally speaking, in defending the role of the
> > public in the technical administration of the Internet, we encourage you to
> > immediately start to do the following:
>
>I do not see the logic that leads from your premise to your conclusion.
>The people who you elect will have no more power to affect ICANN's
>decisions than they do now - zero.
>
>You are substituting toys for real life.

Dear Karl,

Perhaps you are so focused on ICANN that it has become the only
"real"  thing for you.
Yet, you know that an election , even a rushed one, for an organization
that represents DNS users independently from ICANN, has an objective value.
Call icannatlarge.com a toy, your privilege as a member.
All organizations start from humble beginnings and the more we see that
ICANN or its helpers is trying to sideline this organization, the more we
know that we are on the right track to something that ultimately *can*
effectively "defend the role of the public" as Vittorio calls it.

Sure, for the moment it will make zero difference in ICANN's decisionmaking
processes, but that is no reason not to be taking those first tortured
steps on the long road.

--Joop