Re: [ga] Request for vote on GA position on election of ICANN board members

On 2002-05-29 04:08:47 -0400, James Love wrote:

>1.  Every member of the ICANN board of directors should be elected
>by bodies that are wholly independent from the ICANN board itself.

This is ill-defined: What does "wholly independent from the ICANN
board" even mean?  Is the DNSO "wholly independent"?  Are the
constituencies?  Would at-large elections like the ones which took
place 2000 pass this test of independence?

>2.  If the ICANN board creates a new system for board
>representation that is different from the system contemplated in
>the White Paper, it should repopulate the board with new board
>members, who are elected by bodies that are wholly independent
> from the existing board, and such action is necessary to
>demonstrate the board's confidence in the fairness of the new
>system.

This suggestion would back-fire: It would deprive the board of all
the experience which is currently there.  Rather, I'd suggest that
the unelected (and, bad enough, also the elected) at large board
members should be replaced at the next opportunity.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/