From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]On Behalf Of Joe Sims
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 7:44 PM
To: ga@dnso.org
Subject: [ga] Response to Bret

Bret Fausett wrote:

At the same time, the greater ICANN community would have had a deeper
understanding of these perspectives had the Board released an audio
recording of its discussions. It would have allowed for more informed input
---
 No it would not.  What is relevant is the recommendations, not the discussions (either at the retreat or in the numerous other meetings that have taken place around the world between various people over the last several months) that lead up to them.  I assume people are not trying to navel-gaze here, but are trying to put forth their best notion of how this process should play out.  So I won't ask you, or Roger Cochetti, or the Centre folks, or even Jamie Love, about his private discussions on the subject.  What counts to me is what you say in public, not what you say privately.

So there would be no real benefit here, except to satisfy curiosity, but there would have been a real impact on the discussion if everyone knew they were speaking for the record.  This point is impossible to argue, so those who argue for their peculiar brand of transparency apparently simply don't care about this effect.  They would rather have the "benefits" of a homogenized public discussion than the benefits that almost surely flow from candid conversations about complex subjects.  The logic is impossible for me to understand, so I apologize for even attempting to engage on the subject. I should have known better (although I really did not intend to be more liberal than Marie).

Joe Sims
Jones Day Reavis & Pogue
51 Louisiana Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Direct Phone:  1.202.879.3863
Direct Fax:  1.202.626.1747
Mobile Phone:  1.703.629.3963

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information that may be confidential, be protected by the attorney-client or other applicable privileges, or constitute non-public information. It is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.