[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Board retreats and fully transparent process for ICANN

Jonathan and all,

  Nicely stated here Jonathan, and quite right as well.  I forgot
to mention the FCC specifically in my earlier response to Dave's
missive's...  Well done again here Jonathan!

Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

> On Mon, 27 May 2002, Dave Crocker wrote:
> > >  City halls, Shareholder meetings, the Federal Communications Commission,
> >
> > and they are permitted closed meetings.
>
>         Like other U.S. federal multimember agencies, the U.S. Federal
> Communications Commission is forbidden closed meetings except in very
> limited circumstances: where the relevant portion of the meeting would
> disclose confidential trade secrets, involve accusing a person of a crime,
> disclose personal information constituting a clearly unwarranted invasion
> of personal privacy, etc.  The agency can't evade that rule by renaming
> the meeting a "retreat" and postphoning any formal votes until later.
>
>         The fact that the body is allowed *some* closed meetings shouldn't
> obscure the fact that the agency is not allowed the sort of closed meeting
> that ICANN is engaging in and that Jamie is criticizing.
>
> Jon
>
> Jonathan Weinberg
> Professor of Law, Wayne State University
> weinberg@msen.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827