[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Board retreats and fully transparent process for ICANN

Dave and all assembly members,

Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 09:16 PM 5/27/2002 -0400, KathrynKL@aol.com wrote:
> >Courts, trials,
>
> And they are permitted closed meetings.

  Yes they do, but very rarely and never to my knowledge if a public
interest is directly involved.  Hence one should and indeed must, consider
the specific implications...

> >Congress,
>
> And they are permitted closed meetings.

  Yes they do as well where national security is involved and is not
dealing with a public resource such as ICANN is involved with...

> >  City halls, Shareholder meetings, the Federal Communications Commission,
> > the North American Numbering Council and that's just the short list off
> > the top of my head.
>
> and they are permitted closed meetings.

  I have been a shareholder of a number of different company stocks.
I cannot recall any Stock Holder meeting that I have been to dealing
with a public service or resource that was held in secret or not open
to the public that wished to attend.

> You folks are complaining that there are ANY closed ICANN board meetings.
>
> Hence it is not very useful to cite organizations that have some open and
> some closed meetings... just like ICANN!

  Well Dave, so far I haven't seen any mentioned...  What I do read
from you here is a gross misrepresentation of you own making.

> So again:  where are the examples of similar very large scale
> administration and operations activities.

  Kathy just mentioned them Dave.

> Really, is it so difficult to focus on the reality of ICANN?

  How true.  The reality of ICANN is, for better or worse of their
own making...

> >Open and Transparent was what we requested and what we received in the
> >White Paper and the By-laws of ICANN.
>
> Indeed.  And were anyone to pay attention to actual history, ICANN is
> vastly more open and transparent than any equivalent activity in history.

  Hummm?  I don't see any evidence from you or anyone else that
would support such a definitive statement...

> So rather than trying to constantly demand an ideal of perfection that is
> entirely unrelated to practical experience, how about participating with a
> tone of reason and balance?

  The balance of which you seem to attribute is there, but the NY Retreat
was and is not and example of such a balance.  Certainly if the ICANN
BoD wishes to hold a Retreat or private meeting that would be restricted
to discussing matters that are not related to the public resource to which
they are charged, they certainly may have such a meeting/retreat.  THAT
would be a reasonable "Balance"...

> This is not a theoretical exercise in ideals, folks.

  Very true.  You should consider, as should all of us stakeholders/users
this in a reasonable and "Balanced" way as I mentioned or stated
above...

> It is a continuing operation for an essential global infrastructure service.

  Yes indeed.  Hence why such meetings/retreats are fine as long as
at those retreats are not for the purpose or used as a purpose to
discuss or consider issues that are related directly or indirectly
to the public resource...

> d/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827