Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [ga] Re: Transfers: Apparent AuthorityDiscussion]]]

Dear Ross,

Good comments, Grasshopper. This is "research," I believe.

Ross, your comments and mine from a different point of view. I'm a vulnerable
Registrant and you an eager-to-grow Registrar. We both have good ideas but
where I want FAILSAFE you want EASY transfers.

You make a dangerous assumption when you say the, "Gaining registrar is a
representative of the registrant." How can you really know this? This is the
essence of the problem and the 80/20 fix. What you are really supporting is
one-party consent with NO fail-safes. What good are published guidelines when
mistakes lead to disasters?

Having the losing Registrar validate is essentially a double check, or a
two-party consent model. Inherently, the gaining Registrar validates that they
are working with who they think is the Registrant, or they wouldn't process
the transfer. Do you agree? The motivation is that they want to remain
accredited, so they play by the rules.

Then, under my proposal, the losing Registrar agrees to the domain being
released. Of course they check with me. And they don't get to vote! This is
Two-party consent. It also has a failsafe in that the losing Registrar, KNOWN
to be my agent, has a duty to me. I can also ensure that I have legal recourse
-- domestic legal recourse -- when I use Bulk Register as my Registrar as I
did in this recent fraud (I use and love Tucows too!).

Under the absurd system of today, Registrars have the ungodly powers to take
my domain when they THINK they represent the real Registrant. You must
understand that makes me vulnerable to theft from anywhere on Earth
-- most of which I have no practical legal recourse!

In my real-world, real-time example: how am I now to sue someone in
Copenhagen, DK -- the phony Registrant? Or the Canadian Registrar who's system
allowed a "deep link," thus bypassing the validation software? Then, once the
domain was "whitewashed," the current Registrar processed the third transfer
for the current "Registrant of record," and is so motivated to ignore my
problem. Possession rules! There are no Subscriber Rights. Just possession.

Today we have one-party consent with no fail-safes. Sure, those of us who are
in-the-know will use "locks" and enable "transfer-aways," but the vast
majority will have to get screwed first to know to do this. The system should
fail-safe... no just fail the Registrant as it does today.

Put another way, when the vast majority of inmates on death-row are guilty,
those with a "vested interest in .... portability" might say the system is
good and efficient. But, I say when 3% of the inmates are innocent, the system
MUST be changed. This is not an option. We can not allow this crazy system to
harm end users for convenience of the Registrars. Two-party consent works fine
in the SMS/800 toll-free database and we do transfer consent by Fax!

I do not believe that a confirmation e-mail from Verisign is "unintended
benefit." It is partly due to rampant fraud that they too have had to deal
with. NSI created two-party consent within the insane system in place today.
What's the big deal with confirming a transfer? If I get peace of mind, it's
worth it. Why make this safe-guard into an "anti-competitive" villain?

In fact, the real problem here is that bulk transfers -- which I do each month
-- lead to dozens of individual confirmations. It's not the confirmation but
the inconvenience of the confirmation that I have an issue with. Also the
speed and accuracy. It seems to take a week or so between submission and
confirmation. I always confirm twice, because it seems 10% of the
confirmations get lost. This process can be mandated to be efficient and safe.
Within the SMS/800, for example, toll-free numbers are transfer within 48
hours, given a clean request.

Incidentally, Tucows's does not provide "transfer-away" notice by default. I
was walked through the step-by-step procedure to set up "transfer away," as
noted in the e-mail I sent Ross off-list. Bulk for sure didn't provide any
notice. My domain simply vanished.

Keep in mind that one-party consent and "notice" are not as safe as two-party
consent. It's an improvement, but not as safe. "Locks" are in most cases
overkill, and inhibit transfer by requiring manual unlocking (see "Domain Lock
Downside" on the Opensrs discussion list, today 01:05 PM PDT, 05/27/2002).

What we proposed is a two-party consent model, no exceptions. Today's system
is one-party consent, with manual "notice" and "locks" enabled by those in the
know. Ideally, why can't we have a two-party consent that is fast, accurate,
and BULK enabled? I don't see how any gaining Registrars would be hurt by a
confirming e-mail (between the losing Registrar and Registrant). Registrants
will still move their domains for all the reasons mentioned, whether the
losing Registrar likes it or not! Clearly, some Registrants are being harmed
by the existing system when it fails. So why hang on to a failed experiment?

Finally, this piecemeal path to Nirvana is nuts! It is hard to believe that a
"Redemption Grace Period" proposal -- although helpful -- is as comprehensive
as conferring "Subscriber Rights," which offers vision and purpose for the
re-design of the transfers, deletions, and wholesale pricing policies. If all
rights are derived from the subscriber, then all policies are easily designed
to support those rights.

Baby-steps are not what's needed here. It is the health of the forest -- not
the few sick trees we've happened to notice -- that's at stake!

Best Regards,

Loren Stocker
www.800.net

http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-transfer/Arc00/msg00152.html

> Yet, for us the issue of WHO does transfer validations is 80/20 question.
> Move
> this to my agent and you've solved 80% of the problem! The rest may be
give
> and take details. Also, it's important not to let NSI's behavior be a
> distraction. A good policy with compel them to behave in the best interest
> of
> the Registrant.

But what you forget is that the Gaining registrar is a representative of the
registrant. The transfer issue is not about hijackings - some may choose to
paint it as such, but the core of the problem are those registrars that
ignore the wishes of the registrant. Further to this, the IRDX document very
clearly spells out how and to whom verification must be obtained prior to a
transfer request being filed.

> Few recognize that NSI's double-check proceedure is really for the
> protection
> of the Registrant -- given today's crazy system.

With all due respect, this is a position adopted by VRSN to draw attention
away from the fact that they are reacting to the effects of healthy
competitive. This reaction was necessary because they are failing to compete
in a number of ways. The easiest way for them to stop the bleeding to other
registrars was to simply not let customers leave. Their reaction to this
economic imperative is, at best an unintended benefit, and at worst, an
anti-competitive move made strictly with the intent of disrupting the
business' of their competition and limiting the free market rights of tens
of thousands of registrants.

As you mention, "Thief's, of course, use NSI's back-door fax process to
avoid being detected.". A default n'ack policy does not solve this reality.
Given that VRSN is a world-leader in trust services, one would think that
this would be a trivial exercise for them to solve. They haven't - and
instead, have forced tens of thousands of registrants to suffer in turn.

> Neither Bulk nor Tucows had -- be default -- any
> communication
> to the Registrant when a domain was stolen! I don't actually know if other
> domains have been stolen of my accounts.

I can't speak for Bulk, but our clients receive notice of any transfer
requests that we receive.

> As to recovery, Subscriber Rights are essential. Without them we are faced
> with a cost prohibitive "court intervention." If anyone hsn't seen the
> "Impvle
> Propoals for Subscriber Rights it is now posted on WWW.EVIL.BIZ.

Responsible use of registrar lock as well as the current "Redemption Grace
Period" proposal appropriately address what you are trying to solve. To
restrict the portability of domains because of the bad security practices of
a precious few registrars is something that I can't imagine would be well
received by the tens of thousands of other registrants that do have a vested
interest in true registrar to registrar portability.

                       -rwr

it?" -- Albert Einstein

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal
Old Skool DNS Address: http://www.byte.org/heathrow