[ga] Re: [ecdiscuss] Fwd: notes from ICANN Retreat by Andy Mueller-Maguhn

Elisabeth and all,

  Yes I read all of this stuff as have many of our [INEGroup]
members.  Basically the "Retreat" was really confirming
what most of us already know.  That being that the ICANN BoD
and especially the staff are not capable of actual reform and
still wish to continue in violation of their contract requirements
in the White Paper and the MoU, as well as not keep their
own stated promises for many obvious and well publicized
reasons/excuses.

  So to make a long story short the "Ribid" motion voted
on in the DNSO GA see:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2002.GA-ICANN-Reform-motions.html
seems to be the best and likely the only path for a better
and accountable ICANN or ICANN-II.  Hence our many
and growing EU members will be making strategy plans in
the very near term along those lines...

Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

> Fwd:
> Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 09:55:10 +0200
> To: DNSO General Assembly <ga@dnso.org>
> From: Alexander Svensson <svensson@icannchannel.de>
> Subject: [ga] Andy Mueller-Maguhn on the Board retreat
>
> >From: Andy Mueller-Maguhn <andy@ccc.de>
> >Subject: news from the icann board retreat
> >Cc: icann-news@lists.ccc.de
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >just a few notices from my flight from jfk, coming from
> >the board retreat near NYC in garden city, long island.
> >
> >Disclaimer: nothing officially has been decided, this is
> >a list of my notes of informal discussions.
> >
> >The retreat in a way was making sense because of it was an
> >open  discussion about what "icann II" should be, what the
> >outcome of the process be etc. We had a less confrontative,
> >quiete constructive discussion, just interrupted by more or
> >less a few struggles.
> >
> >But (just the most important points):
> >
> >- no atlarge election of directors to be expected
> >
> >   for "technical" reasons (donīt know how) the majority
> >   of the board agreed to not make any direct elections
> >   with this year. on the direct questions, if any directors
> >   would say "no direct at-large-elections under no
> >   circumstances whatsoever" 5 directors outed themself:
> >   stuart (lynn), vint (cerf), hans (kraijenbrink), rob (blokzijl),
> >   helmut (schink)
> >
> >- the majority of the board agreed to the idee of a nomination
> >   committee (s)electing board members. status of the
> >   discussion is to keep 18 board members + ceo (to be
> >   discussed if allowed to vote) and some rought guidelines
> >   for setting up the nomination committee (including
> >   seats for advisory committees in the nomcom, that
> >   means govīs included). but on the other hand side the
> >   board agreed to the fact, that the empowering/selection
> >   of board members by governments is not an realistic
> >   approach (at least for now)
> >
> >- some important questions like the jurisdiction of the
> >   organization and the involvement of staff following or
> >   developing policys where raised but not answered. this
> >   means: we should watch the limit of the acting people
> >   even those acting with best attitutes..
> >
> >- in the discussion about the principles of the corporation
> >   it was accepted that the outcome must be a balance
> >   of interests when making policy. freedom of speech
> >   was at least accepted by a majority to possibly be
> >   affected when following intellectual property ideas.
> >   so i do think, there is chances to involve NGOīs acting
> >   in the area of freedom of speech in a "freedom of speech
> >   constituency" or however to put something on the other
> >   side of the intellectual property people
> >
> >- this means: setting up of the nomcom is the critical
> >   issue now. taking balance of interests as the goal,
> >   identifying all actors in the game and their interests
> >   and impacts on the game is the job for the NGO community
> >   in my eyes.
> >
> >And (watch out what comes next before calling it good news):

> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827