Re: [Re: [ga] Re: Transfers: Apparent Authority Discussion]

Loren and all assembly members,

Loren Stocker wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Allow me to add my two cents here. The real issue is WHO gets to determine
> Apparent Authority!

  Very good point here Loren.  I think that any and all stakeholders/users,
including registrars >:) should get the opportunity to vote on this issue.  I
believe James Love along with myself and others have suggested this
in an earlier post on this thread today.  I hope you you have registered
yourself Loren as a DNSO GA member in the DNSO Voting registry,
as well as the DNSO GA list and DNOS GA Announce list as soon
as possible so that if such a motion is put forward, that you too will
perhaps have an opportunity to vote on any motion in the GA on this
issue.

> I'm appalled at the flawed logic of allowing an undisclosed 3rd party -- the
> gaining Registrar -- to determine that I am I; that He speaks for I, or that
> He/or her speaks for him/or her. This is absurd!

  Well of course it is absurd.  Most of us here that are individual, small
and medium size business registrants/stakeholders/users know this.
However in saying so you most likely have registered yourself in Kent
Crispin, Stuart Lynn, Mike Roberts, Joe Sims, Louis Toutons "Kook"
list.  How quaint eh?!  But also how gosh as well!

> There is no definitive
> business relationship with these 3rd parties, where one can say WITH
> CERTAINTY* that the Registrant has an agency agreement with the existing
> Registrar.
>
> My point of reference is the toll-free transfer in the SMS/800. The policy is
> that the gaining RespOrg (Registrar) presents a signed directive from the
> Registrant to the losing RespOrg (Registrar), who then has 48 hours to release
> the number. We then have a help desk to intervene. The magic is that the
> losing RespOrg has a KNOWN-CERTAIN agency relation with the Registrant. The
> gaining RespOrg may not -- and in fact my represent an imposter. Who's to
> know? I, as a Registrant, want my agent --  who knows me -- to validate my
> request.
>
> For those who think this is a hypothetical, I've personally suffered a
> significant fraud where one of my key domains was ripped from my account --
> without my knowledge or permission. My agent (BulkRegister) had nothing to say
> about this and didn't even "notice" me (hence, "undisclosed"). I've discovered
> it is the system that failed; a system allowing some stranger to validate my
> identity invites fraud!

  Yes validating you identity without some protections that you deem
reasonable and are standard practices in the business world not
only invites fraud, but also invites identity theft, which is far and away
worse...

> All validation should be done by MY AGENT, not someone who may have nothing
> more in-hand than a fraudulent transfer request.

  Exactly right here!

> So what's the significance of
> AA when there is no fiduciary duty to the Registrant? And my agent -- the one
> I've hired to protect my domains -- watches helplessly as my prize domain is
> shipped off to Copenhagen, DK ! True story.
>
> Ross Wm. Rader knows this story and he has advised me that there is no
> proceedure to get this domain back -- thanks to this flawed system.

  I think Ross may be mistaken here.  Contact me offlist for some
legal assistance from Atty's that I know that have had some documented
success in doing this sort of stuff pro bono...

> And there
> are no SUBSCRIPTION RIGHTS, as we've proposed to "take" it back! We will
> appeal to you all if by the good graces of the current Registrar -- the 3rd
> Registrar who transfered it in after it had been "whitewashed" and stripped of
> our identity -- has not returned it by next week.

  Don't hold you breath on their good graces here...

> Best Regards,
>
> Loren Stocker
> www.evil.biz
>
> *Certainty only in the first instance. Once a domain is "white washed" all
> bets are off. This is why it is VITAL to hold Registrant info in the Registry
> (not the zone files, just the Registry).
>
> Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Elliot, Ross and all assembly members,
>
> Elliot Noss wrote:
>
> > Jeff:
> >
> > You misunderstand my comments. I agree with all you say below. When I talk
> > of Ross "figuring you out" I mean that in a very positive way, as opposed
> > misinterpreting you, which may have lead you to infer rancor.
>
>   I was referring to Ross's recent Rancor towards myself and our members
> not from you Elliot.  I thought I had made that clear (Below) and the other
> day in a post to this forum of Ross's...
>

> > Hope this helps.
>
>   Yeah, it did sorta...  Thanks!  >:)
>

> > Regards

Jeffrey A. Williams