Re: [ga] Registrar Advisory Concerning Whois Data Accuracy

At 10:44 AM 12/05/02 -0700, todd glassey wrote:

>MY concern is what they actually do to maintain that their
>email address and other contact point data is valid. I
>would be surprised if any of the registrars ever did
>anything to verify squat at this point.

With this advisory, now they have to if anyone asks.

>The problem is that if the registrar's are not required
>to immediately take down any domain that does not have
>all the adequate information to support it

The Advisory states that they 'should' cancel the
registration if unable to verify.

>By the way, Spammers have two modes of operation. The
>first one is what I call "Hit and Miss" which is where
>they are operating illegally as crackers and will be
>sending out toxic spam from compromised systems...The
>second type of SPAM is that of commercial spammers
>and this form of unsolicited email is addressable since
>it is all propagated form single server-centric nodes.

This is largely inaccurate information. Try "SPAM FAQ"
at google.com.

>The Spam Mail of this type is addressable if any level
>of diligence is done at the Registrar Level.

As is this.

>Both forms of spam are illegal

Really? Which law(s)?

>My other favorite is the claim that you intentionally
>subscribed to this by going to some website. Even if
>you did, there would be a requirement, by law,...

Again, which law?

>...that they tell you up front that by visiting this
>site they were taking your email info from the Browser
>and subscribing you.

How does one take email info from the Browser?

These don't strike me as very good arguments for
giving up my privacy, even if they were accurate.
Breaching my privacy rights because some spammer
might breach your privacy rights is no solution,
either to guard privacy, or to fight spam. -g