Re: [ga] Motion asking for GA poll on rebid of ICANN contract

In normal practice, and for what it's worth, I would agree with Thomas here.  The Best
Practices procedure developed by Joanna Lane and myself is indeed specifically designed
to preclude rushing to a vote on anything.

However, Best Practices also has the provision that just about anyone can ask for a poll
at just about any time.  The difference, of course, is that a poll has no "legal effect," but is
more in the way of "testing the waters" to get the sense of a group, and thereby can be
quite useful in guiding future Discussion and ultimately Debate that might well develop
into a formal "Vote."  James Love is seeking, in his words, "to establish how the GA
members feel about the issue," which is precisely the kind of query that simple polls
are designed to answer, and they need no formal sequence of steps to get established.

Bill Lovell