[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Richard and all,

  Richard, I can appreciate your concern regarding the ITU's history
15 years ago with regards to potentially bad policies the ITU may
have made or taken.  But in the US we have an old saying,
"a leopard doesn't change it's spots".  It may or may not apply
here, but it does pose a concern for the behavior of the ITU
based on it's past history...

Hill, Richard wrote:

> Marc Schneiders stated "The ITU is made up of Telco's. Telco's are
> receiving, and will receive, more and more, competition from 'the internet'
> as a carrier for voice data."
> Telcos are, by regulation (if my memory is correct, but I may be wrong),
> prevented from offering certain types of data services in the USA, but this
> is not the case elsewhere in the world.  In Europe, telcos are major ISPs
> and use the Internet both to offer services and as a carrier for voice data.
> ITU's membership today includes Internet companies such as Cisco, Sun, AOL
> Time Warner, European ISPs, etc.  You can see the full list of members at:
>
> http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mm/scripts/mm.list?_search=SEC&_languageid=1

> Internet because in the past it tried to block the development of the
> Internet in order to protect local phone monopolies",  I would reply,
> speaking purely personally: (1) I wish we could stop talking about what may
> have happened 15 years ago and focus on the future and (2) whatever ITU may
> have done 15 years ago was, I think, a reflection of government policies at
> the time, which, at the time, were thought to serve the public interest.
> Best,
> Richard

> Richard Hill
> Counsellor, SG2
> International Telecommunication Union
> Place des Nations
> CH-1211 Geneva 20
> Switzerland
> tel: +41 22 730 5887
> FAX: +41 22 730 5853
> Email: richard.hill@itu.int
> Study Group 2 email: tsbsg2@itu.int

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827