Re: [ga] Policy

Eric Dierker wrote:

>The following was recently published by;
>
>The TACD includes 45 European and 20 US
>consumer organizations
>(http://www.tacd.org/about/participants.htm).
>

>"4.   ICANN should not be empowered to use control over
>essential Internet name and numbering resources to address
>broader public policy issues."
>
>This is extremely pollyannic.  I know Karl keeps pounding on limiting
>ICANNs mission.  But just hiding our heads in the sand and pretending
>that controlling the names and numbering system does not effect broader
>public policy does not change the reality that it really does effect in
>a huge way public policy.

This shows exptreme misapprehension. Everyone knows that controlling
names and numbers,
given the economic turn given to what was once a purely technical matter
by NSI, ICANN,
Verisign, etc., has policy implications.  What Karl objects to, and
rightly, is having ICANN
make those global policy decisions.  That is why it is essential for
ICANN to get booted and
be replaced by some global entity that is (a) not in the hands of the
commercial profiteers,
especially as to domain names and trademarks; (b) and actually has some
expertise in social
issues and public policy.  On their point that you quote, TACD has it
exactly right.

>Denying responsibility for the effects of ones actions is socially and
>morally corrupt.

Some day I wish you'd learn to quit throwing epithets at people and
using foul language in these
posts. Everything that you disagree with you attack on moral grounds,
rather than taking the time
to understand the issue and give the other party credit for trying to do
the right thing. (No, it's the
soapbox, with The Reverend Eric delivering his throwaway cliches.)

Bill Lovell