Re: [ga] Consensus on consensus?

Karl and all assembly members,

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, William S. Lovell wrote:
>
> > I've reviewed Karl's "Prescription-to-Promote" email, and I must say
> > that he is, for once, uncharacteristically dead wrong
>
> I'd like to insert a minor correction - if I am dead wrong, it wouldn't be
> "for once".  I'm a practiced expert at being wrong.  I've had some real
> buzzards of ideas over the years - For instance, back in the very early
> 1980's, when I first saw the new IBM PC, I said that it didn't have enough
> power to run networking code.
>
> On the other hand, having experienced plenty of errors - either of my own
> making or contributed by others, I've come to appreciate a bit of formal
> procedure that encapsulates the wisdom of those who came before.

  Yes I am also in this same "Club" (Pardon the pun)  >;)

> Check out http://www.bitshift.org/archives/rror.shtml These are a version
> of Roberts Rules that have been modified for use in an electronic forum.
> There are still many of the things that you object to.  However, I find
> them necessary to deal with the "tyranny of the chairman" problem.

  I do as well, which was why in part, I was a bit confused by Bills
earlier post on this thread.

> For years I've watched electronic forums move from the nice-n-friendly
> mode in which things move quickly into non-procedural chaos.  This is why
> I find process, particularly formalized procedures extremely important.

  Yes and good point.  Good process with good procedures necessarily
leads to good product.  the "Just Do It" approach is ok for very
simple tasks on a one time basis, but will not hold up for anything of
even a small amount of complexity.

>                 --karl--

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827