RE: [ga] Re: [ALSC-Forum] Re: [GTLD Registries List] What is theaccreditatio...

On Mon, 2001-12-31 at 18:01, Bruce Young wrote:

> I don't disagree.  However, the law as it currently exists recognizes the
> right of trademark holders over domain names whether we agree or not.  I'm
> just arguing to limit that right to a few domains.  Otherwise, opening new
> TLDs is pointless: if tradmarks are allowed to rule in ALL domains, opening
> a new TLDs does no one any good -- except the trademak holder, who would
> have yet another domain they probaly don't need anyway!

I think the following scenario would work... what do y'all think?

i) [tm] is ruled not to be watered down simply by the presence of
alternative, similar domains. i.e., [tm] holders are not required to buy
them all up or sue like madmen to keep their [tm].

ii) anyone should be able to hold a domain with a [tm] word or phrase so
long as the content does not attempt to infringe upon [tm] holder or
otherwise confuse the consumer. Getting the wrong address (i.e., domain)
is *not* considered consumer confusion.

thoughts?
-s

PGP signature