Re: [ga] The North American UDRP

Saturday, Saturday, September 01, 2001, 6:01:08 PM, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> As an organization, we talk a lot about the importance of geographic
> diversity... but do we practice it?  There is a debate under way in the Names
> Council regarding the geographical composition of the UDRP Task Force.  In
> her message to the Council, Elisabeth Porteneuve has noted:

Geographical diversity is important, for sure, but it most certainly
doesn't apply to every little thing that gets done.

If this had been the IDN task force, I might have agreed with you, but
not every task force or group will benefit from mandatory geographical
diversity, but instead by selecting the best people to represent the
broad spectrum of positions and skills necessary to bring true
diversity to the group.

But of course, this will be unpopular with the dismantlists who will
look for any reason, however invalid, to be critical of the process,
and to justify their agenda, rather than looking for real solutions.

Personally, I think our chair should spend more time showing
leadership in the GA, than on things like this.  For example, the
chair has still not responded to the motion regarding fixing the
moderator system.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>