Re: [ga] FW: ICANN meeting in Montevideo

>  Good luck with the election.
>
>Sincerely,
>Kristi Plähn-Gjersvold
>Grants Manager, Benton Foundation

It appeared that you solicited the Benton Foundation on behalf of the
DNSO and ICANN for your Board candidacy.  Or, was your thinking that you
were going to represent the Benton Foundation if they funded your trip
to Montevideo?

My understanding is that the Benton Foundation has not been following
this process.  If your thinking was that your were going to represent
your own views, why then expect the Benton Foundation to support you and
fund you?
Money, grants and funding are disappearing in today's troubled economy
and the economy is probably going to get a whole lot worse before it
begins to get better.

I gather from your opposition to my posts concerning APOs and
restructuring the DNSO
(http://dnsga.org/announcements/atlarge_5june01.html), that you support
counting everyone's votes and that you are against enterprise
organizations representing stake holders, interested parties and the
At-Large.

Money is scarce.  Who is going to fund your point of view and expenses?
How are you going to demonstrate that you have the funding, staff and
necessary resources to adequately represent the GA constituency?  If you
are elected, how can you properly represent your constituency without
money for your time and expenses?  It takes money to properly compile
and present information concerning a constituency's position.

It takes money.  There is no money with your way of thinking.  Most
organizations (non-profit, etc.) have experienced shrinking budgets for
grants and funding and they have no money to spare.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

On 12 May 2001 ICANN CEO Stuart Lynn made the following comment
concerning ICANN funding DNSO expenses:

"As I understand it, ICANN's budgets are not used for covering SO
expenses.  This does not single out the DNSO or the GA, but applies
across the all SO's. Perhaps your opinion is that this should change,
and the budget should be adapted to accommodate certain kinds of SO
expenses.  In which case, that is a matter to be pursued through
process, ultimately requiring Board approval. We cannot make exceptions
on an ad hoc basis and be fair to all constituencies."

"If the acceptance of a volunteer position depended upon travel for
which I have no sources of support, I would most certainly check in
advance as to what is the relevant policy before agreeing to accept."

=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It may be the case that the state of the world's economy demands that
standards and policy be derived from market driven forces.  It may be
the case that it will be ICANN's responsibility to weigh and control
standards and policy that are derived from market driven forces.
Because of competition, market driven forces will advance the creation
of new technology and efficient processes, protect consumer privacy and
information, protect the integrity of the Domain Name System (DNS) and
market driven forces will prevent the system from being captured.

It takes money to properly compile and present information concerning
competition and new technology.  An organization with money and
resources that can properly compile and present information for their
constituency should be allowed to compete for the ICANN Board's
attention and votes.

The matter of organizations being qualified to present information to
the ICANN Board and being qualified to vote on ICANN agenda, concerning
the integrity of the DNS and the development of standards and policy,
should be at the very same level and priority as that used in assessing
New TLD Registry Applications and Accredited Registrar Applications for
the integrity of the DNS.

We need to change our way of thinking because what we are doing now is
not working.

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman

Telephone:  (202) 801-0158