Re: [ga] MINUTES OF MEETING OF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

this is a "me too" candidate post! Yet a little more.

Bill asked candidates to spell out the obvious. Amen.

I agree with Joana: this always a good thing to reveiw bills. But I want to
add that Jones Day does professionally a great yet job.

However this job is aimed at:

- maintaining the ICANN non monopolistic fiction in the US legal and tax
environement. This is purely in the USG benefit. Several foreign law
solutions would achieve this at no cost. I am sure that Vany could document
the status of the Panamean Foundations on that matter. I could to about
French or Belgium non-profi associations.

These costs should therefore be incured by the DoC.

- developing a contractual policy. This is due to the choice of a
non-profit corporation solution. Having no legal rights, the ICANN tries to
weave contract rights in a way a corporation has to do it. It is the costly
and rigid consequence of the point above.

Having the ICANN structured as an association of stakeholders would
establish at no cost much stronger legal Memebrship links at no cost and
much lower maintenance costs.

These costs should therefore be reduced by a real factor in resuming the
IANA approach.

In that perspective I do not see the necessity of keeping Jones Day
practice. I would propose to select a legal practice more oriented towards
international non-profit associations.

Jefsey