[ga] Proposition to take advantage from Members' cultures

Gentlemen,
I want to make a proposition based upon Joana's perfect English and
Roberto's concerns for local outreach through non MdR based (yet cheaper)
meetings.

I propose - conforming with international WTC agreements - that the GA
maintains a ML at least in the language of each of the countries where a
meeting was held or is expected. This will permit the people who met/will
meet in such meetings to continue relating and develop their local ICANN
oriented community. Chinese, German, French, Spanish, Arabic, etc... ML
should therefore be implemented by Secretariat. So the genius of every
culture may be taken advantage from by the ICANN..

Obviously votes will continue on the GA. But motions should be translated
in every ML language under the common responsibility of the motioneer and
of the language ML Chair. I am sure we have enough bilingual experts able
to fairly, promptly and exactly translate such texts for free. There is
therefore no additional cost incurred.

As indicated earlier france@large is the incorporated association we set-up
to foster initiatives in that area. The icann-fra ML already exists on a
commercial system. I propose its transfer under the DNSO system and other
MLs to be implemented in parallel. The GA counts more than 1000 Members.
Voting Members are in the 200 range for the USA, 50 for France, 40 for
Germany, ... These figures become coherent with such a proposition and will
help developing and stabilizing the GA, the DNSO and the ICANN.

As an example, issues like Whois are today of enough international
importance to be addressed too by people of different cultures and
countries where the currently debated propositions are illegal. I certainly
respect the professional approach of ATT and VeriSign lobbyists but if
their influence is not balanced by people from different cultures, legal
understanding and network vision the result will be so unbalanced that it
will result in Governmental negative actions, detrimental to everyone,
starting with ATT and VeriSign.

Another example is the ".name" TLD. This English only proposition is an
obvious challenge to the rest of the cultures and a deliberate incitation
to the creation of open Internet TLDs for other languages.

There are two Aborigine TLDs on the open Internet. I am proud of them. As
they said about the Melbourne meeting "the lords of the ancient domains
welcome the masters of the new domains". This is the Internet I am proud
of. I am sad that their TLD Managers were not acknowledged.

Jefsey