Re: [ga] Summary of Verisign meeting in Washington on WHOIS services

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 11:29:02AM -0400, Sandy Harris wrote:
> "Sapiro, Miriam" wrote:
>
> > -  We are organizing two additional consultations, as well as setting up a
> > web-based forum for public comment.  The web forum will be particularly
> > important to ensure that everyone who has views can provide them easily.
>
> Why a web forum rather than a mailing list? I consider mailing lists far
> more convenient to use, they are much easier to keep a personal archive
> of, and they are the traditional discussion mechanism.

A mailing list also gives an integrity check not available to an online
forum -- the owner of a forum can change the contents at will, but since
a mailing list distributes its contents widely, it is much harder to
alter.  This is why all formal announcements should also be sent via
email, rather than only posted to a web page.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be