Re: [ga] Summary of Verisign meeting in Washington on WHOIS services

Miriam wrote:

> technical, policy or other communities.  But we must not confuse this
effort
> -- to conduct R&D on a universal Whois -- with the myriad of Whois policy
> issues now appropriately under discussion by the Whois Committee, the GA
and
> others.

Point of clarification.

Whois Committee, DNSO, has been waiting for the access to survey
results which has been presented on July 24. There is still no access.

>All Committee members have access to all the information including
> (in confidence) the identity of the author.

As Paul, chair of Whois Committee guaranteed earlier, Whois Committee
will exert its efforts to make sure this Whois Survey to meet its original
purpose for survey.

After enough survey review for the around 2800 responses, according to
Paul's report during NC teleconference - consideration for non-native
speakers of English should be counted in, Whois Committee is going to
get some consensus whether the policy is needed or not.

> That debate is now taking place, and will continue, irrespective of
> the R&D effort on a universal Whois to which we have committed.  We were
not
> tasked with setting policy with respect to Whois, but rather conducting
R&D
> on a possible technical solution for a universal Whois.  When consensus
> decisions are made on those policy issues, they should be reflected in
> whatever Whois database is in use/development.

Yes, there should be enough time for review for written consultation,
which will reflect very limited part of the world.

Thank you,
YJ