Re: [ga] XTNS Launches New Domain Naming System

Joanna and all assembly members,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> on 8/20/01 11:40 PM, Tim Langdell at langdell@technologist.com wrote:
>
> > Put simply we have the exclusive license for non-ICANN domain name strings
> > in the IE browser (strings with dots in) that we are calling Domain
> > Namespaces to seek to differentiate them from ICANN/DoC approved domain
> > names/TLDs.
>
> Hello Tim,
>
> If "Domain Namespaces" are not Domain Names at all, they are strings, isn't
> this label misleading and confusingly similar to Domain names?

  No I don't see the two as being misleading or similar.  They are two distinct
different things.  Domain Names are congruence or potential congruence
of 2nd level designations within a TLD.  Domain Namespaces are the progressive
levels in a TLD name space from a Domain Name.  Pretty simple if you think
about ti a bit Joanna...  >;)

> Would you by
> any chance be able to provide us with a Definition for "domain namespace"?

  See above...

> Regards,
>
> Joanna
>
> The URLs for Best Practices: DNSO Citation:
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
> (Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
> Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA")
> Part I:
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
> Part II:
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
> (Access to the .pdf file requires installing the Adobe Acrobat
> Reader, which is available for free down load at
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827