Re: [ga] Net-block issues

William X Walsh wrote on 15.08.01, 10:33:03:
> Registries should not be involved in MAPS like operations at all.
>
> You can't seriously be suggesting that?
>
> MAPS is not a functionality, it is a disfunctionality, and if it is to
> exist at all, it should be managed privately.

This is a reply to an 'old' message, but I just found
this in the .name agreement:

 Registry Operator further reserves the right to implement additional
 anti-spam measures, such as using MAPS RBL, to block UCE or mail
 from systems with a history of abuse from entering the Registry
 Operator's mail-forwarding service.
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/name/registry-agmt-appc-1-03jul01.htm#d

I remember the standard ICANN "What we do and what we don't"
presentation, e.g. slide 40 from the Melbourne presentation
  http://www.icann.org/presentations/melbourne-orientation-ajm.ppt
putting "Spam" in the category "What ICANN doesn't do". Note that I
for one think ICANN could hardly have avoided this issue from coming
up when dealing with such an e-mail forwarding offer by a
registry operator. But it is interesting to see how difficult it
is to predict what exactly is in ICANN's scope and what isn't.

Best regards,
/// Alexander