DNSO Mailling lists archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [ga] VeriSign complains...

My position is that VeriSign's "default no-acknowledgement" policy is necessary in
the domain name industry.

I believe that the real issue here is VeriSign's 5 day processing period
requirement concerning transfer requests. If transfer requests are not processed
within 5 days, the transfer requests are automatically barred.  This may be the
trap you and other Registrants have fallen into time and time again.

I believe that the 5 day period for transfer requests should be extended to at
least 7 days.  This allows batch processes time to complete their functions
including transfer authentication processes.  I believe that it is also the
responsibility of Registrars (including their affiliates and resellers) to indicate
to Registrants that problems may occur during the transfer request process,
suggesting that Registrants should not wait until the very end of a domain name
registration to initiate a transfer request.

What may not appear fair here is VeriSign's 5 day processing period requirement
concerning transfer requests.  It does not appear fair when you realize that
VeriSign's "default no-acknowledgement" position is coupled with VeriSign's 5 day
processing period requirement concerning transfer requests.

It seems that the Administrative Contact to a domain name currently does not have
enough time to authenticate a transfer request, thus causing the transfer request
to be barred, which appears calculated and predictable.

An argument could be that the winning Registrar has a duty to inform a Registrant
of VeriSign's "default no-acknowledgement" process concerning transfer requests.
However, it does not seem correct to place this burden on competing Registrars.

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman

Robin Miller wrote:

> Derek,
> I can support WXW's story, because it happened to me and this very domain. I
> ended up having to pay NSI for another year because of the delay of the
> transfer request to another registrar put it over the date of the domain
> expiring. My ISP for this domain changed owners and they were transferring
> domains (including mine) to the registrar they prefer to work with. NSI delayed
> the request so the domain expired, then said they couldnt process it because
> the domain was expired and we had to pay again. Then, when I found I was forced
> to pay the domain for another year, it took 2 tries to do so, and 2 weeks for
> them to actually take the charges from our cc. I was calling long distance from
> Germany, asking why they haven't booked the charges from our cc. I was angry,
> to say the least.
> I will switch registrars halfway through the year, so I can give NSI a good 6
> months to finally get it right. But I feel very angry about how they tried to
> keep a customer against the customers wishes, just to be able to suck another
> year's registration fees out of me. We have had many other problems with NSI as
> well, which prompted me to transfer this domain away from them so the
> administrative contact can FINALLY be put into my name. (NSI screws that up as
> well, the experience on another domain name is enough to just make me want to
> transfer this one and be done with the problems) They always find a way to
> screw it up, as usual. And make me pay extra, of course.
> As a secondary note, I have not had these problems with Tucows. I have two
> domains there.
> take care, Robin

This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.
Send mail to majordomo@dnso.org to unsubscribe
("unsubscribe ga-full" in the body of the message).
Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>