Re: [ga] VeriSign complains...

My position is that VeriSign's "default no-acknowledgement" policy is necessary in
the domain name industry.

I believe that the real issue here is VeriSign's 5 day processing period
requirement concerning transfer requests. If transfer requests are not processed
within 5 days, the transfer requests are automatically barred.  This may be the
trap you and other Registrants have fallen into time and time again.

I believe that the 5 day period for transfer requests should be extended to at
least 7 days.  This allows batch processes time to complete their functions
including transfer authentication processes.  I believe that it is also the
responsibility of Registrars (including their affiliates and resellers) to indicate
to Registrants that problems may occur during the transfer request process,
suggesting that Registrants should not wait until the very end of a domain name
registration to initiate a transfer request.

What may not appear fair here is VeriSign's 5 day processing period requirement
concerning transfer requests.  It does not appear fair when you realize that
VeriSign's "default no-acknowledgement" position is coupled with VeriSign's 5 day
processing period requirement concerning transfer requests.

It seems that the Administrative Contact to a domain name currently does not have
enough time to authenticate a transfer request, thus causing the transfer request
to be barred, which appears calculated and predictable.

An argument could be that the winning Registrar has a duty to inform a Registrant
of VeriSign's "default no-acknowledgement" process concerning transfer requests.
However, it does not seem correct to place this burden on competing Registrars.

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman