Re: [ga] why not a consensus about sub-lists?

Jefsey and all assembly members,

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> Jeff and Patrick,
> I respond publicly to this mail received on public list.
>
> I think it quite positive. It shows three different attitudes
> which might be aggregated into a consensus over sub-lists.
>
> Could we agree on this and turn it listetiquette?
>
> 1.   DNSO/GA list is the only one people should be on.

  I am not sure what you mean here?  Can you clarify a bit?

> 2.   sub-lists are for collateral work or education

  Yes, but debate and discussion needs to be conducted on the
sub-lists...

> 3.   they are subject to their own rules by their moderator:

  Ok, but no rule should be permitted to limit discussion, debate,
or cause the suspension of any participant.

>        they are listed by GA on a page linked to dnso.org

  Yes.

> 4.   they are GA "a parte".  they can be freely copied to GA

  Yes, agreed.

> 5.   anyone can freely join/remove himself from any sub-list

  Yes, agree here too.  However this seems to be counter to your
#1 suggestion...  ????

> 6.   all the sub-list posts are copied to GA-FULL

  Yes.  And any responses to the ga-Full from these sublists
can be "CC'ed" to the sublist as well as the GA-Full

> 7.   to keep threads in sub-lists ReplyTo is set to sub-list

  Ok this is fine...

> 8.   creating and moderating a sub-list needs only 4 seconds
> 9.   no restriction on the debate as long as on topic,
> 10. existing sub-lists are used for mutual education.
>       No debate allowed.

  Hummmm?  This seems to be counter to your #9...  ????

> People ask questions to get an
>       answer (technical, historical, about someone position,
>       etc...) how controversial may be the response it is
>       accepted as educational only, no reply permitted.

  Again, if you mean to the answer provided to a question posted
or ask on the sublist, than I agree, unless there is evidence to the
contrary.

> I note that it only calls for one line to be added by Secretariat
> to DNSO.ORG and for someone to maintain an excel table.
> I am ready to do it.
>
> Example: ga-rules:
>
> - every participant may be asked his position. The archive
>    makes a good FAQ for reference

  Do you mean working position or a position on a particular issue?
Please clarify...

> - then several working sub-lists may handle the different
>    propositions as Good Practice, Sub-List rules Template,
>    Moderators, Posting limits. Once the issue is OK it is
>    reported to the GA and the sub-list is closed.

  No posting limits...

> - if a sub-list becomes sleepy it is up to its Moderator to
>    report to the GA and attract comments.
> - if someone wants to be aware of everything on an ML:
>    it get to GA-FULL.

  Good suggestion here!  >;)

> May be should we change for better support to a more
> easily managed system, or may be WXW would know
> how to set-it up. But IMHO knowing what we want would
> help us to survive in the meanwhile (sub-lists could be
> temporarily replaced by "[theme]title" subjects).

  Setting this up is child's play really.  I could do it in about
2 hours...

> The
> most urgent would be to have a consensus on mutual
> education sub-list sanctuaries.
>
> My 2 cents. I will not come back on that.
>
> Jefsey
>
> >1.) that not sublist currently or in the future is restricted by the
> >      illegitimate GA list rules.
> >
> >2.) That ANY subscriber to ANY sublist can carry forward or CC
> >      to the DNSO GA list relevant posts they feel is or many be of
> >      specific interests to the remainder of the DNSO GA.
> >
> >3.) That ANY an ALL Sublists are open to ANY and ALL interested
> >      parties without exception.
> >
> >4.) that debate and discussion is open and transparent without
> >restriction as
> >      long as it is on topic.
>
> At 11:06 10/07/01, Jeff Williams wrote:
> >Patrick and Jefsey,
> >
> >Patrick Corliss wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jefsey

> > > generating

> > > You're the one that said it wasn't legitimate, remember?
> >
> >   I did not say this Patrick.  I said that the current GA list rules
> >are not legitimate.  I hope you are not straight on this?
> >

> > > Please decide if you want the sublists YES or NO.
> >
> >   Yes.  I see the sub lists as a good idea with a few caveats.  They
> >are as follows:
> >
> >1.) that not sublist currently or in the future is restricted by the
> >      illegitimate GA list rules.
> >
> >2.) That ANY subscriber to ANY sublist can carry forward or CC
> >      to the DNSO GA list relevant posts they feel is or many be of
> >      specific interests to the remainder of the DNSO GA.
> >
> >3.) That ANY an ALL Sublists are open to ANY and ALL interested
> >      parties without exception.
> >
> >4.) that debate and discussion is open and transparent without
> >restriction as
> >      long as it is on topic.
> >

> > > Then say so.
> >
> >   I have several times and just did so again.
> >
> >Regards,
> >--
> >Jeffrey A. Williams
> >Spokesman for INEGroup - (Over 118k members strong!)
> >CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
> >Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
> >E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
> >Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827
> >Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208
> >

> >--
> >This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams