Re: [ga] a quote from Lynn

On 10 Jul 2001, at 8:31, Eric Dierker wrote:

> "Universal resolvability means the ability to find the same answer to
> the same query from anywhere on the public Internet. The position
> advocated by New.net relies on the fundamentally erroneous assumption
> that universal resolvability is not an important feature of the DNS.
>
> To the contrary, universal resolvability is one of the key design
> elements of the DNS. If users perceived that the DNS began to produce
> different results in response to the same question, this would
> seriously undermine confidence in the reliability of the Internet to
> users and potential users around the world."
>
> Yes I take this a little out of context but I do not like the
> fundamental position that any system would require only one right
> answer to the same question. It sounds like he is saying that users
> are too stupid to handle a choice therefor we must not give it to
> them.  No rereading his policy paper; it does not sound like it, it is
> it.

In actuality, Lynn's statement is good.  There should not be any
duplication, that's all.  It has nothing to do with whether you
choose one root over another.  When you want to go to nic.biz,
you should always get to the ARNI .biz registry, not Nuelevel.
When you want to go to computers.biz, you should always see the
same one.  That much should always be true.

What he is trying to say is that there should be only the USG root,
but he misses the point that there will always be more than one
root.  Universality is the uniqueness of the domain throughout all
roots.