Re: [ga] .kids domain

Alexander,

I would not hesitate to write to the author of the bill regardless of
where you live.  It may serve to put our legislature on notice that
they need to pay attention to the global community and not just
the US.  This may be an opportune time to make that statement.

This proposed legislation does make a point, though, doesn't it?
How can ICANN claim to be a multinational organization and the
root a global entity when it is owned and controlled by the US
government?  Isn't it, then, a US root with a huge market share,
managed by a private US corporation?  With ICANN not having to
answer to anyone but the state AG and DoC and with DoC simply
rubber stamping anything that ICANN decides per their stated
policy, we seem to have just what was said at the February
hearing:

...ICANN answers to no one but maybe God and perhaps not even
to Him...

Also from the hearing:

["Mr. Pickering:  This is the dilemma for us and has been for the
very beginning.  The reason we have ICANN is to avoid the APA,
the Adiminstrative Procedures Act, as much as any reason.  We
didn't want the APA to apply to ICANN."]

Open, transparent, bottom-up?

Leah