Watchdog - Was: Re: [ga] Re: [announce] GA election ...

Bill,

Re: your post below:

>The question of where that list of appointees came from had surfaced
>with me, too.

and:

>The
>Secretariat kindly resolved one issue for us, so perhaps it would be kind
>enough to explain
>how all that came about.

It all happened because in a bootstrap situation you have to start from
somewhere, so the watchdog committee was a team of volounteers, accepted by
consensus for the first election of the GA Chair.
When everything was ready for the second election, DNSO Secretariat reminded
me that as Chair I had the formal responsibility to appoint the watchdog
committee, and that the members of the initial team had partly dropped out
from the GA in the meantime. Having no direct interest at stake, as I was
not seeking re-election, I quickly assembled a team that I thought the GA
could trust rather than postponing the GA Chair election again and debating
how to appoint the watchdogs in a different way.
Incidentally, I think that the watchdogs have done a good job, and I believe
that we need to find a better formal procedure, but that there are no
complaints about the performance of the current team.

In fact, now that we are in a reasonably stable state, we can change our
rules to have all offices held by elected people.
For instance, we can have elections for the watchdogs well before the end of
the current Chair terms, which will ensure that we have them in place when
needed. Ideally, they should serve on a 1-year term, with elections 6 months
apart from the elections of the GA Chair.

This post should rather go to GA-rules: can somebody who is a subscriber
copy it there? Thanks.

Regards
Roberto