Re: [ga] Nomination for representative to the NC Review TF - Eric Dierker (fwd)

Stefan,

You wrote:

>I am not sure, whether this is the right venue to discuss .vn issues.

Well, the subject has been brought up in support for a nomination by the GA,
and I don't see how the continuation of the debate could be ruled out of
order.

Also, there have been some interesting developments, like the question from
WXW to you about cryptography below:

[WXW wrote, quoting you:]
> > On-line credit-card payments need https protocol, which includes
> > encryption. Encryption is by the letter of the rules usually illegal
>(all
> > the customers would need a permission). Will Hi-Tek get the rules
>changed
> > first, or just produce again another factum which defies the rules?
>
>Where do you get this from?
>
>Encryption is not illegal.  It think you have a misunderstanding here.
>High grade encryption was illegal to export from the US, but
>SSL/https protocols were still available, and are still available.
>And in any event, the US has relaxed the export controls extensively.
>With the exception of a few countries now, the browser makers can
>distribute high level encryption with their products to anyone (And
>do).

I just assume that you mean that encripted transmission is currently illegal
in VietNam, but I am curious to hear your authoritative answer, and I am
sure that the issue about different local laws influencing the Internet is
of interest to most of the people in the GA.

Best regards
Roberto

PS: How are things in the ISTF?