Re: [ga] Motion to Condemn the Propsed "theft" of the .BIZ tld by ICANN

Roberto and all assembly members,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> I agree with Thomas, with the two caveat below.
>
> Thomas Roessler wrote:
> >
> >On 2001-06-24 09:00:32 -0400, Sandy Harris wrote:
> >
> >>Nonsense. Voting may sometimes be a useful tool for testing
> >>whether a consensus exists. If it is clear, as it is here on this
> >>issue, that no consensus exists, then a vote is pointless.
> >
> >Not at all.  Voting on this topic will, in this case, make the
> >non-existence of any consensus abundantly clear, and would thus help
> >the GA.
>
> First caveat: on the question of the unique/multiple roots the discussion
> comes back periodically, and I do not expect a vote of the GA to prevent the
> issue to pop up again in few months (maybe with a dot-something-else).

  Well roberto the vote or motion that a vote has been requested on is
not about the broad issue of unique/multiple roots, but rather is narrowed
down to the issue or .BIZ registries.  Ergo I am not sure what or why you
are suggesting this caveat...

> Second caveat: a vote is expensive, if not in IT resources (a poll can be
> set up in a much easier way and is sufficient as a first check), in terms of
> blocking the debate.

  Blocking debate by taking a vote is absurd.  We have had a number of
debates on issues that have been voted upon before.  In expense, in terms
of IT resources, the DNSO has a working voting mechanism.  It is not
an expensive one....

> I would not recommend to take the habit of
> motioning-seconding-polling for every question: let's keep it for few
> meaningful things.
> (Kent Crispin has given a "reductio ad absurdum" demonstration of what I
> mean: see http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc07/msg01126.html)
>
> Regards
> Roberto

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827