RE: [ga] Funding

Dear Peter,
thank you for your reponse. It obviously clarify the
understanding added to Cochetti's remarks.

On 13:47 12/05/01, Peter de Blanc said:
>Jefsey, et all:
>I never said, or agreed, with your interpretation of how I (or others in
>North America) regard non-profit or non-commercial companies.
>
>Many non-profits do not have tax exemptions. Even if a non-profit does have
>a tax exemption (in the US),l it only affects donations from other US
>companies.

In here ALL non-profit are tax exempted. By nature. Only some
may be taxed under very special conditions. non-commercial are
never used in common interest actions: they are limited to
professionnal activities.

>In our culture, "a non profit must be supported
>by others (state, cities, companies) to join forces with the
>free help brought be benevolent volunteers." (same as your words)

My understanding is that while we expect mostly that
support to be practical (discount, free services, cooperation..)
you very often expect that support to be financial with
a good tax incentive.

>As an aside, i was surprised that the NCC does not accept non-profit
>chambers of commerce as members. They are organizations set up to act as
>political lobbists to local, state, regional, and national governmentsw in
>order to argue for a more favorable set of business legislation. they are
>all non profit, and mostly populated with volunteers.

You point is well taken. May be they consider that in
such a case the DNSO/BC might apply as a Member
creating confusion?

>I am personally involved with the VIP FreeNet foundation, in the Virgin
>Islands. It does not have a tax exemption. It provides Internet access to
>the public, where such access is not otherwise available thru schools,l
>libraries, etc. It is run by volunteers.

In French tax culture you would be tax exempt. The rule is
if your rates are commercial you become eligible for taxes.
If you rate is let say $6 per DN you would not be taxed.
The whole idea is a family like management so you are
not traped into business like management costs.

>The FreeNet conducts fund-raising activities, runs seminars, etc,.
>The funds are used to deliver the internet service.

In most of the cases in here funds come from
yearly Members fees, lotteries and legacies.
Also from publics subventions. Sponsoring with
tax write-off as in your system are seldom.

>There is no difference (in my mind) between these non-profits.

True. But would you operate in here, your funding
would be different and people paying would certainly
not accept that you pay services at the same rate
as commercial entities: they would feel robbed.

It seems it is less the case in he US since people
know that businesses are sharing in the budget.

>Now, getting back to the DNSO constituency dues of
>NCC, I believe that your secretariat, (if you have one)
>could simply request donations from other
>organizations- including the other constituencies.

I am no member of he NCC yet. But they will respond
to you. I think this potential proposition of yours to
consider a donation should they ask for is quite
reasonable. This is what I suggested to the AFNIC
and what in a way the Lynn responded to the NC.
That the DNSO handles the DNSO funding before
sending monies to the iCANN rather asking the
iCANN to fund it back. The same kind of logic
could apply.

>Meanwhile, I would appreciate knowing just who
>and what organizations are eligible to be members
>in the NCC.

It might turn you are eligible as VIP.

But it would be great if you could help with the
other constituencies solving that problem. I think
many would thank you on an ethical basis.

Jefsey