Re: [ga] Letter to Dr. Vint Cerf

Kent Crispin wrote:

> Jefsey, I'm sure you didn't realize it, but you have made the strongest
> case I have seen so far for my proposal that there should be legal
> sanctions against the connection of alternate root system to the global
> Internet.

Methinks you're over the top there.

There's nothing wrong with connecting a private alternate root to the
Internet. Lots of people do that all time and it works just fine.

When an alternate root vendor talks about "upgrade to see the whole
Internet" rather than "add private domains visible only to our clients",
they are either lying or they aren't. If they are, then existing laws
on fraud, false advertising and client damage lawsuits apply and your
proposed sanctions are unnecessary. If they aren't, then I cannot see
the point of your sanctions.

> > In all the ".biz" controversy we have heard many con and pros. There is
> > however a pro we never heard until now and that we are eager to hear from
> > you: what is that so important to the Internet about the ".biz" TLD? And
> > what made you vote to take it away from Leah Gallagos?
>
> Nothing is being taken away from her.

She never had it, at least not in the official root for the global Internet.

> She chose to use an alternate
> root system that was very unwisely connected to the global internet, and
> she can continue to do so.  However, her actions were irresponsible in
> that they ignored a very large scale process that has been going on for
> years, and she must take the consequences.

> The iCANN excludes the
> > augmented roots from its own root. The augmented roots include the whole
> > inclusive name space, i.e. every non colliding TLD including iCANN's TLDs.

No. The global roots, (mis)managed by ICANN and Verisign, are the roots for
the public Internet. You can augment them as you please for private use, but
attempting to do so for the public net is both dumb and perilous.

> The misconfiguration is in creation of a .biz in an alternate root
> system, and connecting that to the global Internet -- an action which
> exposes one to all kinds of problems, not just the one you outline.

> > ... who would you advise me to sue?
>
> The operator of the .biz that is operating in an alternate root.  Such
> operation is in direct contradiction to the best technical advice
> available (RFC 2826), ...

Good reading.