From: "L Gallegos" <jandl@jandl.com>
To: "General assembly list" <ga@dnso.org>; "Digitel - Ken Stubbs"
<kstubbs@digitel.net>
Cc: "names council" <council@dnso.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ga] MY "ALTERNATE ROOT" EXPERIENCE

> The new.net "plug-in" has been known to cause problems and, IMO,
> should have an explanation rather than just an auto-download from a
> pop-up window.  It should also have an "uninstall" description clearly
> shown in the same window.
>
> Most of the roots do not use this method and to compare it to all of
> them is unfair.  Both The PacificRoot and ORSC root provide maunal
> instructions (about a one minute task and not very different from
> settings for DSL or cable or any ISP).  They also offer a small program
> to effect the settings.  Neither one attacks your browser settings or
> proxies.
>
> I have always felt that new.net should offer the same instructions wrt to
> the browser changes and do not like the misleading pop-up that simply
> says "activate your browser."
>
> There is a major difference between "enabling dns" and a browser plug-
> in.
>
> Leah
>

> On 2 May 2001, at 7:50, Digitel - Ken Stubbs wrote:
>
> > today i had a very unnerving experience  with an alternate root entity
which i want to share with you .......

> > i was curious about this "new.net" phenomena and went to the www.new.net
site and at the top of the main page there was a link which said to "click
here" to be able to allow my browser to see the new.net tlds.. i clicked
there and, unbeknown to me, a program was installed in my computer which
> created absolute havoc for my entire computer system.
> >
> >  i was TOTALLY unable to send or receive e-mail or view any regular
sites or use the net at all.!!

> > i was not aware that this program was placed in my system and and my
ability to use the net was totally disabled for quite some period of time.

> > i also have an intel "anypoint" wireless system in my home which was
totally disabled as well.

> > fortunately for me, i was able to contact one of company's network
engineers and he was able to troubleshoot the problem in short order and get
the "phantom program" removed and restore my system to regular working
order.

> > the point i make is this:
> >
> > i am not a "tecchie" and after this little encounter with "new.net" i am
VERY MUCH MORE SKEPTICAL about the "alternate root" experience.  if i can
get paralyzed this easy, then there are uncountable numbers of persons who
could end up experiencing the same "sinking" feeling of being "cut off "
> from the regular net as we know and use as i had.
> >
> > the sense of "instability" created by this "encounter" is to say the
least "nerve-wracking"  & frustrating

> > as a result of this experience "new.net" has lost significant
creditablity in my eyes and the "al