Re: [ga] MY "ALTERNATE ROOT" EXPERIENCE

The new.net "plug-in" has been known to cause problems and, IMO,
should have an explanation rather than just an auto-download from a
pop-up window.  It should also have an "uninstall" description clearly
shown in the same window.

Most of the roots do not use this method and to compare it to all of
them is unfair.  Both The PacificRoot and ORSC root provide maunal
instructions (about a one minute task and not very different from
settings for DSL or cable or any ISP).  They also offer a small program
to effect the settings.  Neither one attacks your browser settings or
proxies.

I have always felt that new.net should offer the same instructions wrt to
the browser changes and do not like the misleading pop-up that simply
says "activate your browser."

There is a major difference between "enabling dns" and a browser plug-
in.

Leah

On 2 May 2001, at 7:50, Digitel - Ken Stubbs wrote:

> today i had a very unnerving experience  with an alternate root entity which i want to share with you .......
>
> i was curious about this "new.net" phenomena and went to the www.new.net site and at the top of the main page there was a link which said to "click here" to be able to allow my browser to see the new.net tlds.. i clicked there and, unbeknown to me, a program was installed in my computer which
created absolute havoc for my entire computer system.

>  i was TOTALLY unable to send or receive e-mail or view any regular sites or use the net at all.!!
>
> i was not aware that this program was placed in my system and and my ability to use the net was totally disabled for quite some period of time.
>
> i also have an intel "anypoint" wireless system in my home which was totally disabled as well.
>
> fortunately for me, i was able to contact one of company's network engineers and he was able to troubleshoot the problem in short order and get the "phantom program" removed and restore my system to regular working order.
>
> the point i make is this:
>
> i am not a "tecchie" and after this little encounter with "new.net" i am VERY MUCH MORE SKEPTICAL about the "alternate root" experience.  if i can get paralyzed this easy, then there are uncountable numbers of persons who could end up experiencing the same "sinking" feeling of being "cut off "
from the regular net as we know and use as i had.

> the sense of "instability" created by this "encounter" is to say the least "nerve-wracking"  & frustrating
>
> as a result of this experience "new.net" has lost significant creditablity in my eyes and the "al
ternate root" experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth.