RE: [ga] Alternative roots

<SNIP
|> No we don't!  That's a collision in the DNS and will cause
|> problems.
|> The business issue and the DNS issue are two very
|> different issues.
|> While both are important, the collision factor is a huge "Don't."
<SNIP>

One thing we should keep in mind.  If you accept these alternative
names spaces as being a part of the legacy root, then there may be
collisions.  I consider them private name spaces and as such, they are
not going to cause collisions, they should not be using Internet
routable addressing to reach the hostnames within.  Much the same as
any business which runs its own DNS and has their own private name
space.  They are not a part of the legacy root and as such, they are
private name spaces.

These private name spaces may grow enough to overshadow the legacy
Internet name space but at present they are a totally separate entity
and do not belong within the legacy name space.  By providing Internet
routable addressing within those private name spaces they are actually
going against the accepted RFC's that govern the legacy name space.

I run a few private name spaces myself, I do follow the rules however
and they are not routable on the Internet.  However, it would not be
difficult for me to do so.  Many others can also.  Once you allow some
private name spaces into the Internet name space you will be opening
the flood gates for any private name space to make claim.  Some of the
non-Internet routable name spaces have been around for years also.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.