Re: [ga] Rules for new lists -- needed or not?

At 02:37 PM 4/23/2001 -0400, L Gallegos wrote:

>On 23 Apr 2001, at 10:42, Bret Fausett wrote:
> > Lists need list managers, chairs, moderators, whatever you want to call
> > them, to coordinate the discussion, identify common ground, focus on
> > additional areas for discussion, move the discussion past problems that can
> > never be solved, answer procedural questions, and in some instances handle
> > decorum issues. The Chair should be allowed some discretion in handling all
> > of those issues.
>
>My suggestion would be to have the list members select their own list
>chair.  They should also be allowed to select the list monitor/manager,
>IMO.  In the past, we have seen WG's whose appointed chairs have
>submitted reports that do not resemble a list consensus.  That  has left
>a feeling of "no confidence" in the process.  Perhaps if the list members
>had the opportunity to select their own chair/co-chairs, the result may
>be more universally accepted.

         Actually, as far as DNSO WGs are concerned, that was true only of
WG-A.  In each of working groups B, C, D, E, and REVIEW, the reports were
prepared and submitted by co-chairs who were selected by the list
members.  The "NC liason" co-chairs played a secondary role.

Jon