(Fwd) Re: [ga] Competitive Roots [was Additional Mailing List

We're playing the semantics game here, I think.  There should be no
competition, IMO.  There should be a real effort toward cooperation.  If
all the roots are carrying the ICANN and CCTLDs, where is the
competition?  Cooperation is a huge factor.  The issue of duplication is
huge even though the FUD makes it appear to be a competitive issue.

Competition should take place among TLDs and registrars to keep
prices reasonable and interesting in a free market.  That has nothing to
do with whether there should be duplicates of any string at the same
level of the tree.

It is this understanding that must be dealt with, along with the absolute
that these entities do exist and are not going away.  It sounds to me as
though there are many who think companies like new.net will simply
disappear if certain other things are true.  I believe that assumption is
dead wrong, but if it were true, we're also looking at possibly hundreds
of thousands of people on the net who would be seriously injured.  I
think it is extremely important to look at these issues to find ways to
communicate and cooperate for all interested parties - especially the
users.

For those who think that ignoring it will make it go away, fine.  Let's sit
back and watch the disaster.  For those who see it as competition,
maybe that's good too.  It makes us take notice, doesn't it?

Leah

On 22 Apr 2001, at 7:36, Eric Dierker wrote:

> GA Members;
>
> Do we have a consensus that these roots are in competition with ICANN?
>
> If they are then we should have one course of action, as in competition strategy.
>
> If they are not then we have another course of action, inclusion and cooperation.
>
> I also suggest that if it is competition then .biz is a non-issue, why would we
> care about competitors rights, and if that is the case, we should unleash a slew
> of gTLDs that compete with every other competing root.
>
> (someone please tell us that competition is not what it is)
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Patrick Corliss wrote:
>
> > Hi Sotiris
> >
> > > With all due respect, Patrick, I think it would be wise to leave aside the
> > > topic of competitive roots.  This, because  the competitive roots topic
> > > is really not an ICANN relevant topic; the ICANN intransigence on
> > > competitive roots is firmly entrenched and IMHO it will take a miracle
> > > to get the BoD to even comment on altroots.  After all, competitive roots
> > > are just that: competition.
> >
> > Can't agree, honestly.  First it's an issue with New.net's drive to expand its
> > operations.  Secondly, many people will keep bringing it up if .biz gets
> > approved and operational.  Thirdly, there is going to have to be a debate
> > about MultiBind.  Fourthly, we need to consider multilinguals but this is a
> > diversion for many, if not most, on the main mailing list.    Finally I don't
> > see why we ought not to discuss the competition - Pepsi does !!
> >
> > The whole issue really needs to be shunted off to a separate mailing list
> > somewhere.  Otherwise it will keep coming back to haunt the main list.
> >
> > I know I have an interest in this topic but that's just good common sense.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Patrick Corliss

Leah Gallegos
AtlanticRoot Network, Inc. http://www.biztld.net
The DotBIZ tld Registry - the REAL one.  Stop ICANN
from duplicating the .BIZ tld in their root and fracturing
the Internet!
ALSO, visit http://www.TLDlobby.com.