From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2@dcrocker.net>
To: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
Cc: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 17:11
Subject: Re: [ga] FUNDING

Sigh.  Another red herring.

The IRS does not require any minimimum contribution or donation level for a
501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.

The criteria related to tax-exempt status are varied and somewhat complex,
but donations, per se, are not particularly relevant.

This assessment is based on:

         a) 8 years running a 501(c)(3) that charges fees; though it gets
donations, the percentage has never been an issue; and

         b) A quick review of Nolo Press' The California Nonprofit
Corporation Handbook, by Anthony Mancuso.

d/