RE: [ga] List Monitors

Dassa wrote:

>* Perhaps the list decorum rule could be adjusted to reflect the level
>of discomfort felt by the list members.  Instead of a List Monitor
>making a subjective judgement on the suitability of any postings, it
>may be more objective to set the penalties on the number of complaints
>made respecting certain posts or posters.  By this I would suggest
>invoking penalties if the number of unique complaints sent to abuse
>from list members reaches certain percentages.  For instance, if only
>one to three abuse complaints are sent in, a warning only is sent.  If
>5-10% of list participants send in a complaint, the offender is
>suspended for two weeks and so on.  This would be an attempt to apply
>an objective measurement to not the contents of the post complained
>about, but the impact on the mailing list.

It is a good idea, but I see some problems with it.
If we codify this into a strict rule, the danger is that a group of 5-10%
participants can manage to shut up somebody that they disagree with.
While this is in principle possible by the List Monitor, at least the List
Monitor is taking full responsibility for his/her actions, and is
accountable to the GA (he/she can be removed, for instance).
OTOH, an organized minority can do damage without being accountable to the
majority.

I think that the only way out is human intervention, by respected (on the
whole) and accountable person, on the basis of *draft* rules, with the
possibility to apply (motivated) exceptions. Of course, the "performance" of
this person is easily measured by the number of objections to his/her
judgement: if the GA starts disagreeing too much, maybe it's time for either
the list monitor to change the parameters of his/her judgement, or it is
time to change List Monitor.

Regards
Roberto