RE: [ga] Dave: "they are free"

Jeff Field wrote:

>I am the administrator for aaaq.com (I use it for email, web, etc.).  I
>control aaaq.com and I rule when it comes to the creation of anything else
>that is added to the left of aaaq.com, i.e., www.aaaq.com, sales.aaaq.com,
>etc.
>
>Going up the ladder, VeriSign is the administrator for .com.  VeriSign
>controls .com and VeriSign rules when it comes to the creation of anything
>else that is added to the left of .com, i.e., domain1.com, domain2.com,
>etc.

This makes me think of another possible example.
(Suppose) I run an "enhanced" ;>) nameserver for .com, that includes all the
VeriSign SLDs plus some non-conflicting registrations of my own. I obviously
run an "enhanced root" that makes all this visible to the overwhelming
masses who point to it.
One nice day, I discover that VeriSign is about to accept a registration for
foo.com, that I happen to have among my SLDs.
I scream and yell that VeriSign fragments the domain space, and claim that,
in order to avoid this problem in the future, VeriSign should come to an
agreement with me to build a meta-.com that has to be managed by the two of
us "co-operatively".

What do people think the answer of Mr. Sclavos will be?
(Hint: one of the masters of the Italian theater, Eduardo de Filippo, has
described the concept and purpose of the so-called "pernacchio" in a
masterpiece, brought to the silver screen in the movie "L'oro di Napoli",
i.e. "The gold of Neaples")

Regards
Roberto