[ga] the probable final solution: Jeff Field's wrong analogy

Dear Jeff,
your analogy is wrong (McDonnald should compare to .com, Burger King
to .biz, etc...) but let take your conclusion which is probably be the final
market/legal response to the issue. And let try to understand why knowing
it the iCANN god in three persons is acting as it does.

You cannot avoid that there are TLD managers (VeriSign for .com, ARNI
for .biz, IOD for .web etc...). These guies have the money (commercial) or
the users (cooperative ownership like mines).  But the users do not come
to them directly to resolve the addresses. They need disseminators (the
roots) because the DNS program on my PC asks its data to only one
source.

Now let assume we are a few weeks from now and multi-bind starts being
in use: the TLDs will only e-mail multi-bind users to have thel adding their
TLD in their include list.

Obviously the Linux users will be favored until MS includes the feature
into Windows or someone proposes a plug-in for doing the job.

When you think of it... there is already such a plug-in: New.net. The
New.plug-in started transforming xxx.shop into xxx.shop.netw.net. Many
others will do it. Starting with the rumored viruscom "porn.com" which
makes people who loaded it believing loading a New.net plug-in to have
their ".com" calls routed towards pornographic sites.

What does that mean? That we are living the last days of the iCANN if
there is not an alliance between RSCs (root service centers) to maintain
and protect the Internet DNS stability that iCANN endangered in different
ways with its TLD policy. iCANN believed it could politically (the actions
towards the GAC irt. ccTLDs and non-legacy TLDs) or technically ((M$
200 of R&D by VeriSign on DNS) ban them.

This is too late. Louis Touton and Joe Sims are not good enough in C
to know that Multi-Bind is not a big development (and that a multi sub-
root RSC Bind version is vey simple). And they had not enogh time and
no more technical support for a legal position.

Now only an alliance between the legacy and non legacy RSCs may be
technically and politically strong enough to warranty the stability of the
mail traffic (New.net does not support it) and to negotiate with the real
alternates RSCs like New.net and Name.Space an agreement on a stable
list of TLD and on a way to acknowledge and test new creations.

As multi-bind will show it we do not really need the iCANN (nor the other
RSCs). But they may help in providing some service and protecting the
net stability. One of these services is to provide a stable augmented root
(as Pacific Root, ORSC, CINICS and others already do). This only means
that iCANN machines are to use Bind 9.1.2 instead of 9.1.1 ...

Otherwise, the iCANN will disapear: as soon as 9.1.2. is validated? The
coinsusmens will have access to all the TLDs iCANN refused in MDR
and to all the non-legacy TLDs.

This is the time for the ccTLDs also to consider the situation and to put
some pressure on the iCANN otherwise they will lose their position as
many other national and regional TLDs will compete witgh them. We will
certainly reach the million TLD level, but IMHO we would be better off
in having it in cooperation and coordination that in disarray.

This must be discussed at the DNSO. Hence the subML on the
request for a WG-Inclusive Name Space Management I call for.

Jefsey