Re[8]: [ga] Dave: "they are free"

Hello Christopher,

Sunday, April 15, 2001, 8:32:13 PM, Christopher Ambler wrote:

>> There is no .aol

> Do you deliberately choose to be obtuse?

> Let me ask you differently, then. If there is no trademark
> protection at the top-level, do you feel that it would be
> appropriate for Earthlink to apply and run .AOL?

I don't think it would be appropriate the TLD to exist.  The term is
too closely associated with a truly famous mark.

By the same argument I used prior, the AOL portion needs to be moved
to the second level.  The top level is the space for the generic,
non-trademarkable namespace.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com