Re: [ga] Attn: GA Chairman Younger....

> Learning more about technical and social effects of
> TLD duplication can obviously do no harm. But in the
> end, it is a policy question: Does ICANN want to
> restrict itself to all the TLDs left over by the
> alt.roots even though it is not legally required to?

Legally?  Legally if DoC enters a duplicate it will have offended the
MOU and the White Paper merely on the technical issue.  It would
not be legal.  In any case it offends the APA.

> Do the benefits of this restriction outweigh the
> disadvantages? And the problem is that the answer to
> this question depends largely on whether you
> (a) operate an alt.root TLD or hold alt.root domains,
> (b) operate or want to operate a TLD in the ICANN/
> USG root. Therefore I'm rather skeptical about a
> consensus on this policy question.

Policy should at least require respect for the DNS by not allowing
DoC to duplicate TLDs.  Period.  As for restrictions, we all live by
them.  If I want to introduce a new TLD, I still have to make sure it
is unique in the DNS.  So does ICANN unless it wants to create
chaos.

IMO, it is definitely something the GA should discuss in a WG.

Leah