Re: [ga] Call for a Working Group

It is not clear to me what exactly the scope of this working group should
be.

It will be interesting to discuss (once again!) about the alternate roots,
and the relationship between ICANN and them, but I don't think that we will
go anywhere.
Moreover, from the few posts so far, it is not clear to me whether this WG
should address the unique vs. multiple roots, or should address the point
raised by Kendall below:

>I still feel that there needs to be an officially recognition of the
>alternative roots by ICANN.

This is a different thing, and does not mean "alternative roots" but "get
everybody in the unique root". BTW, does this include NameSpace as well?

>One day they are going to wake up and find that
>they are suddenly the minority. In case you haven't noticed: the media,
>Congress, and the Net users around the world are not particularly thrilled
>with ICANN at the moment. The only ones who seem happy are Afilias, Joe
>Sims, Louis Touton, Michael Roberts, and VeriSign.

If ICANN will become minority, that means that alternate roots are the
majority and therefore I don't see the point in further discussing.
Browser will point to the alternate roots, and that's it, everybody happy.

But I don't see this coming in the near future.
If Congress (or Net users around the world, or whoever else) is not in love
with ICANN, it does not mean that it is in love with the alternate roots. In
fact, I suspect that very few Congresspersons, if any at all, has ever heard
about alternate roots.

Regards
Roberto