RE: [ga] collisions in namespace (was gTLD Constituency)

I've already stated my opinion as to the use of the term, "upgraded".  FYI,
here's the relavant dictionary definition I found:

Upgrade - "To replace (a software program) with a more recently released,
enhanced version."

I believe the more appropriate term to use is "alternative".  Here's the
dictionary definition I found:

Alternative - "The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities."

Anyway, forgetting for the moment that you may be using a different version
of software than ICANN's root server, one which you may consider an upgrade;
for all practical purposes, the only difference between your root and the
ICANN root is the data it contains.  Yours has more (the additional TLDs).
Additional data does not constitute an upgrade.  Having said that, and
taking my cue from the copy on your site
(http://www.pacificroot.com/register.shtml), let me try to help you out
with, what I believe to be, copy that would not be misleading:
--------------------------------------
Please note: In order for you and other Internet users to access the
websites of, send email to, or use any other Internet service connected with
the domain name(s) you are about to register requires the DNS (Domain Name
System) settings of each user's computer be configured to point to DNS name
servers which have been set up to query the ORSC Inclusive Name Space root
server system operated by PacificRoot.

Additionally, although PacificRoot believes the ORSC Inclusive Name Space
root server system we operate is superior to what we believe to be the
functionally obsolete ICANN root server system, and that we are currently
making progress through marketing, education and outreach to raise the
awareness of all Internet users of that superiority, many Internet user
computers are not yet configured this way.  Simply put, all this means is
that currently some Internet users will be able to utilize (access your
website, send you email, etc.) the domain name(s) and and some will not.
--------------------------------------
Or something along those lines.  BTW, I would also suggest putting this copy
in a more prominent place than the current right side small print that has a
good chance of being missed.  Additionally, it ought be included just before
the registration submit button....coloring it red is not a bad idea, either.

> Our Hostmaster team deals very little with any lack of understanding on
> this issue, due in part to the prominent placement of notices to upgrade,
> but more specifically because it is not the public's average joe that is
> having dificulty grasping this concept. It's easy for them to understand.
> Most of our tech support hours lies in the area of lost passwords and what
> to put in for nameservers - the same thing that takes most of the support
> time with all providers.
>
> It seems the people who find the most difficulty with this concept are the
> people whom we would least likely suspect - people such as yourself.

Ahem...do you know me that well to make such a statement?  I've only been on
this list for about a week or so.  I don't believe we've met...have we?

> Why is that Jeff? are you just being resistant to public demand? The ISPs
> are eating it up and selling websites like crazy:)
>
> Finally, I personaly very little time to waste worrying  about what you
> think - especially considering you wouldn't be bothering to argue this
> point unless we were garnering such phenominal public support and
> acceptance in the first place ;)

Ahem, again...I don't believe you know me *at all* to make such a statement.
I have no agenda here, hidden or otherwise.

Regards,

Jeff
--
jeff field