Re: Re[2]: [ga] collisions in namespace (was gTLD Constituency)

Roeland Meyer wrote:

> What you ought to notice is that the precedent has now been set that the same
> entity can now be both registry and registrar.

The U.S. Dept. of Commerce has thought for some time that this was
acceptable -- with proper precautions, such as the separation of revenue and
assets. This is Andrew Pincus' testimony from July, 1999:

   "The operations of a registry and of a registrar,
    if conducted by the same entity, should be
    separated so revenues and assets of the registry
    are not utilized to financially advantage registrar
    activities to the detriment of other registrars."

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/blileyrsp.htm

    -- Bret

P.S. Of course, he also wrote: "The Department of Commerce also expects the
ICANN Board to move expeditiously to establish a process and time-line for
electing At-Large Directors. This task must be ICANN's highest priority.
Indeed, we can think of very little that is more important to the success of
this experiment in self-ordering than the prompt establishment of a fully
elected Board of Directors."