Re: [ga] Critics say "there's no shortage of dotcoms"

Patcick and all remaining assembly members,

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 11, 2001 6:22 PM (AEST)
> Gavin Stokes <gavin.stokes@autodesk.com> wrote:
> Subject: [ga] Critics say "there's no shortage of dotcoms"
>
> > Patrick, when you say:
> >
> > > Shortage?    There is no shortage of dotcoms.
> > > Inflation?      Irrelevant.
> >
> > What do you mean by "dotcoms"?  If you mean domain names (and that's the topic
> > here), it appears that a lot of people disagree with you.  After all, aren't
> > we talking about adding TLDs (in part) to alleviate this perceived shortage?
> > And here's a clip from an article on CNet:
> >
> > "Capitalizing on the shortage of domain names, the Kingdom of Tonga--the only
> > inhabited South Pacific island never to be colonized--has begun hawking the
> > ".to" designation to Netizens."
> >
> > And if artificial scarcity and inflation are irrelevant, I guess we can clear
> > the books of all those wordy antitrust laws.
>
> Hi Gavin
>
> You have said a number of things which indicate that you are not well informed
> on the subjects you have been discussing.  This is not meant as a criticism,
> just a statement of fact.

  No this is an opinion, nothing more.  Nice try though...

> And I do not really wish to enter in overlong debates on issues that have been
> discussed at length on this and other lists.  Just one or two points are worth
> clarifying.
>
> (1)    I said "dotcoms" because the general thrust of some people's argument is
> that there is a shortage in that gTLD.  Certainly there is no shortage of domain
> names at the second level.  Of course a number of these are "taken" already.

  This statement seems to be self contradictory.  Yes there is a definite
shortage of GOOD second level Domain Names available for dotcom.

> (2)    You say that "people disagree with me".  People who understand the
> subject don't.

  Not true.  Many stakeholders that understand the subject want new
gTLD's because in part that there IS a shortage of dotcoms, at the very
least good ones at the 2ld...

>  From memory 67 characters are allowed including the .com which
> is four characters.  That means you can have 63 alphanumerics before the dot.

  Yes, so your point is???

> Since there are 26 alphabetics, ten numerics and a hyphen, that's a BIG number.

  It sure is.  But it is diminished by the fact that more than 16m dotcoms have
already been registered.  Hence there is at the very least a shortage of good
2nd level DN's in the dotcom name space....  This was the gist of Gavins
original point.  Perhaps you missed that nuance....

> On this issue I'd refer you to the thread "Calculation of Domain Name Bounds" on
> Verisign's Domain-Policy mailing list last year.  See the Michael Krieger and
> Russ Smith postings below (with my initiating email) as typical examples.
>
> The URL for the archives is http://lists.netsol.com/archives/domain-policy.html
>
> (3)    Giving people "more choice" does not mean there is "a shortage".

  True.  But it does indicate that there is a shortage of good 2nd level
DN's in .com....

> (4)    You didn't explain why you think "inflation" is relevant to the perceived
> shortage of domain names.  The "antitrust laws", whilst interesting, are not
> relevant to "inflation" either.  Please don't try to confuse the issue.

  Wheather or not antitrust laws have any implication of inflation is
directly dependent upon the cost of antitrust cases over a period of time...

> Regards
> Patrick Corliss

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827